Ruthless killer: who am i??
This killer Knocks the door of 390 Million People every year and threatens life of 96 million people annually.
Yes, its “Dengue”, a global killer hiding in your own vicinity.
What is Dengue??
It is a viral disease caused by dengue virus, belonging to flavivirus genus transmitted by bite of female Aedes mosquito.
Where does this mosquito breed?
Breeds in and around your house in water storage tanks, overhead tanks, flower pots, air coolers etc.
Where do the adult mosquito hide in your home?
Adult mosquitoes rest in cool and shady places in your house- like Wardrobes, laundry area, under furniture, behind curtains etc.,
When is Maximum risk of transmission?
During rainy Season (July-October) risk of transmission is high.
When does it bite more?
Aedes is active during day time. It’s a day biter, bites more during morning and evening.
How to identify Dengue in your body?
Your babies don’t say that whether he/she is sick. So when should you suspect a viral illness?
Contact Doctor immediately, if your body has any of the following Symptoms:
1) Fever : Measure temperature using Thermometer , If Temp >38 C or 104
2) Low Temperature:<36 C or 96.8 F , with any of the following features :
- Crying too much
- Not taking food
- Too much sleepy
- Over agitated, fussy
- Newly appeared rashes anywhere
- Bleeding from nose, gums or bruising
- Vomiting more than three times a day
What if Doctor says your baby have dengue? How to care your baby at home?
- Control Fever: Use Paracetomol syrup or drugs in appropriate dose as recommended by your doctor. Give cold water sponge bath.
- Prevent Dehydration: Give plenty of fluids to prevent Dehydration like – water, ORS solution and fresh fruit juice can be used. It is very important to keep your baby hydrated as it loose water continuously due to vomiting and fever.
How do I know if my baby is dehydrated?
See for these signs:
- Sunken soft spot on baby’s head
- Mouth, Tongue and lips of baby are dry
- Eyes are sunken
- When baby cries there are few or no tears
- Decreased urination: less diapers used when compared to normal days.
- If any above signs of dehydration, consult doctor immediately.
How do I protect my baby?
- Use mosquito nets
- Dress our baby with loose clothing that covers arms and legs.
- Use mosquito repellent cream (Mosquito repellent cream should not be used if the baby is less than two months)
How should I choose my repellent cream?
You can use repellent cream containing:
- DEET less than 30%
Note: Creams containing oil of lemon eucalyptus should not be used on babies. Containing oil of lemon eucalyptus can be used only on children greater than 3 years.
How to Apply?
- Apply cream on to your hands first, spread it to the exposed skin of babies ( not covered by cloths- no need to apply below clothing)
- Don’t apply on cuts, wounds and irritated skin- rash and red skin.
- Don’t apply near eyes and mouth.
What to do if the baby develops allergy with the cream?
If any rash or redness at the site of application:
- Wash off the cream from the skin of baby with soap and water.
- Stop using the product
- Contact Doctor if the symptom persist
How to prevent Mosquito breeding in and around my house?
- Larvae which form adult mosquito grow in stagnant water so check for water logging and clean it as soon as possible.
- Change water in flower vase and fish bowls alternate days.
- Cleaning and scrubbing the wall of aquarium every week.
- If the flower pots in home don’t absorb water, loosen the soil a bit.
- Remove water from coolers and AC frequently.
Follow these Simple Steps..
Kick the killer out and prevent Dengue this season.
Let joy and happiness rain in your home.
Very well done.
Good article.. Very informative
Thanq you. Very informative