Escape death : Five simple sutras
In continuation with our previous article
Here are the five simple tricks to avoid premature deaths:
1) Say “No” to Obesity:
Just by decreasing 10% of your weight, the risk factors can be reduced tremendously.
- One of the biggest concerns is how to loose weight?
Care Curious will help you with this regard in future articles. But as of now, please note rapid or quick weight reduction strategies should never be adopted. Weight loss should be gradual (1.5-2 kg per month).
2) Adequate Physical Activities:
Say Hi to “play” , Physical activities decreases obesity, increase basal metabolic rate, burn calories efficiently and prevent ageing.
- A jog/ Brisk walk of 30-40 minute a day is beneficial.
- Maintain minimum pace of 110 steps per minute when you do brisk walk or jog.
- Drink two glass of water and have a light snack (prefer vegetables and fruits) an hour before jog/ walk.
- Have two glasses of water after your jog.
- Do muscle stretch before and after jog.
- Cycling 3-5 Km/day, Swimming 40 minutes a day and any outdoor game for an hour keeps your body fit and healthy.
3) Food Habits:
“Eat less, Eat more frequently” is the mantra.
- Make 5 meal a day plan (tiny meal, 5 times a day)
- Low calorie meals taken at frequent intervals of time increases your BMR and help burning calories effectively.
- Low calorie diets induce “Sirtuins” in body, which regulate telomerase expression and helps to increase lifespan.
- At least 1 serving of fruit and 2-3 serving of vegetables per day is essential.
- If consuming meat, prefer White meat over Red.
- Fish and Chicken have lesser fat than mutton, beef and pork.
- Avoid eating fat fried meat and internal organs(liver, heart, Kidney etc) of animals.
- Limit meat consumption to 2 servings a week.
4) Quit Smoking and limit Alcohol :
- “Smoking Kills” written on every pack of cigarette and ignored most of the time.
- “My friend, dad, grandpa puffed cigarettes for years. Do all of them have cancer?” Is a common excuse given. But it is essential to remember, out of 10 lung cancer patients 9 are smokers.
- Who Knows you may win the lottery of lung Cancer!!!
- Also, smoking increases the risk of heart attack by 4 times, stroke and paralysis by 2-4 times and lung cancer by 25 times.
- Smoking also increases risk of :
- COPD : Chronic Bronchitis, Emphysema
- Blindness, Cataract, age related macular degeneration
- Pregnant mother: Increased risk of Orofacial defects in baby.
- Aortic aneurysms, early abdominal aorta atherosclerosis.
- Coronary Artery Disease
- TB, Asthma
- Hip fractures
- Reduced fertility
- Males- Erectile Dysfunction
- Rheumatic Arthritis
- Immune Dysfunction
- So it is always safe and better option to “Quit Smoking”
- Yes, it is difficult decision to make and adhere.
- Decide and determine
- Consult a doctor for advice
- Certain medication can help you to overcome and withdraw Symptoms (Tremors, Anxiety, low mood) and to maintain abstinence.
Always avoid alcohol..
Social Drinking/occasional drinking, when done on binge quantity or alcohol on regular basis impair health. It impairs your cholesterol levels, cause micronutrient deficiencies and leads to obesity.
- Draw a line when you plan for social drinking
- Don’t drink more than twice a week
- Don’t drink more than 2 drinks
- So what is a drink?
- 1 drink = 360ml beer= 150ml wine = 45 ml distilled alcohol (vodka, rum etc.,)
- So keep the cut off: 720 ml beer or 300ml wine or 90 ml of distilled alcohol per occasion.
- Anything more is injurious to health.
- It’s always wise option to say no for alcohol, because people starting with a peg eventually end up having more.
6) Managing Stress:
- Identify Stress factors and try to avoid them
- Discuss your way out with friends and family.
- Spend time with family and friends, take a break from routine.
- Never sit browsing too long on gadgets.
- Do regular exercises
- Don’t bottle up your stress and burst on others
- Get good sleep
- Avoid caffeine, smoking/alcohol as stress relievers.
- Don’t hesitate to meet a Psychiatrist. A counselor is best person to help you to overcome your stress and teach us to manage it.