What is Rithucharya?
The word Rithucharya is made of two words
Rithu means “Season”
Charya means “Do’s and Dont’s (Regimen)”
How many Rithus ?
The Hindu calendar divides an year into 6 rithu’s or seasons.
1) Shishira rithu (Mid -Jan to Mid -Mar)
2) Vasantha rithu (Mid – March to Mid – May )
3) Greeshma rithu (Mid – May to Mid -July )
4) Varsha rithu (Mid – July to Mid – September)
5) Sharth rithu (Mid – September to Mid – November)
6) Hemantha rithu (Mid – November to Mid – Jan)
First 3 Rithus form Utharayana kala .
These months are more windy and dry.
Human strength is relatively low and this kala is dominant by fire.
The last three rithu’s form Dhakshinayana kala. These seasons are brightly lit. Influence by sun and moon is more. Earth is cooled down due to rain, clouds or cold wind .Humans feel relatively stronger.
Vasanta rithu and shishira rithu are the seasons when “kapha” increase relatively. And we are prone for respiratory and digestive problems.
Lets know some “do’s and don’t s” to prevent illnesses.
- Food should be choosen that are easily digestible
- Physical exercise
- Dry massage
- Anoint your body with the paste of karpura( camphor), chandana (sandalwood ),kumkuma ( saffron)
- one Should have barli,wheat, honey in their diet.
- Have good amount of seasonal fruits like mangoes.
- The person should spend his midday in the company of friends .
- Drink plenty of water .
- Engage in pleasant games,which would morale up your mood and strengths.
- Avoid foods that are hard to digest.
- Sleeping at day times .
- Avoid Foods which are fatty , very sour and sweet.